In a post below Michelle opined that “we are not at war with brown-skinned people who have funny names. Like, you know, the President. Or my boyfriend. Or my future kids.” Since I have the raw genotype files of Michelle and Mr. Michelle, my initial impulse was to immediately check the 6 or so relevant pigmentation loci, and calculate the distribution of melanin indices of their putative offspring. But that will be a future post at Discover Magazine! I think I might write a script to make it easier for others. From what I recall Promethease has only some eye color estimates.
But for now, I thought it might be fun to go over well known half (or quad or less) browns.
- Benazir Bhutto, whose mother was Iranian (possibly Kurdish).
- The actress Rhona Mitra, whose paternal grandfather was Bengali
- Norah Jones. Born Geethali Norah Jones Shankar.
- Ben Kingsely. Born Krishna Pandit Bhanji.
- British American actress Nicollette Sheridan, 1/8th Punjabi.
- Food & cooking writer Harold McGee. One of his grandmothers was Indian, and introduced him to Indian cooking.
- Jawed Karim. Co-founder of YouTube. He’s a German American, in that his mother is a German national, and he was born and raised there until his early teens. But his father is from Bangladesh.
- Amar Bose, his mother was a white American.
My list is kind of American biased. Readers can offer their nominations.